[GreenYes] Re: Healthy Business Strategies report from Clean Production Action

Peace activists from all over the world are gathered in my fair city
(Vancouver, Canada) this week for the World Peace Forum. They are talking
in hundreds of intense, well-attended sessions about how to get past war
and conflict. One of the sessions I attended was an exercise in "deep
dialogue." The premise of deep dialogue is that we are going to have to get
people with what seem like fundamentally opposed views working through the
issues in order to achieve workable solutions (think "restorative justice"
which is a deep dialogue between victims and perpetrators of crimes).

I came away persuaded that this can be done by de-constructing opposing
positions. In the present instance: what is it, specifically, within the
"Capitalist modus operandi" that does not work for us? What elements can we
break out and negotiate on, rather than trashing the Capitalist modus
operandi in its entirety?

This is what Product Policy Institute is wrestling with when we talk about
"good governance". Commerce is a part of the human experience. How can we
tame commerce so it serves humans and the environment? Can we really
imagine a world without any commerce whatsoever? (Will the first person who
never bought anything please raise your hand?)

Helen.