[GreenYes] Re: Commercial (business) recycling - new program

Megan-

Not enough detail in what you wrote. Who is doing the hauling and
processing? What are the business segments to be serviced? What types of
collection containers are you talking about?

To the question of cost, a good recycling program means reduced trash
requirements and that needs to be factored in?which can mean the need for
audits and analysis if people need economic tools to make decisions.

As to audits, planning, design in general, yes, this often needs to be
done?especially when receptacles and intermediate containers need to be
procured. In small businesses it¹s usually easy for people to do paper and
beverage container separation with a minimum of effort, but in large ones,
it¹s absolutely necessary to do some planning if you want things to work.
So, sometimes folks can do it on their own. Sometimes they need help. Check
out our Jump-Start recycling page:
http://www.greentreks.org/gpcrc/jumpstart.asp

And our Resources page: http://www.greentreks.org/gpcrc/resources.asp

There are tons of great commercial recycling sites out there for business
owners and facility managers. Just Google ³Commercial Recycling² ³Office
Recycling² ³Business Recycling² Steal stuff that seems right for you, create
tip sheets, brochures, etc. (as long as you¹re not violating copyright laws,
& make sure to give credit to work that has already been done, of course).
But definitely also make sure to invest in setting up audit and planning
services.

Hope this helps some.

--
David Biddle, Executive Director
Greater Philadelphia Commercial Recycling Council

215-247-3090 (desk)
215-432-8225 (cell)

<http://www.gpcrc.com>

Read In Business magazine to learn about sustainable
businesses in communities across North America!
Go to: <http://www.jgpress.com/inbusine.htm>