[GreenYes] Re: Commercial (business) recycling - new program

Hi Eric ~

In my county, the cities, villages and towns are the "Responsible Units" as defined by state law for the implementation of recycling. As an example of a local ordinance, the City of Madison recycling ordinance is found in chapter 10.18 on the web page http://www.municode.com/resources/gateway.asp?pid=50000&sid=49.

The City has had a consultant do studies in several neighborhoods to find out the participation rate. In both areas studied, it is my understanding that virtually all households placed recyclables out during the time periods studied. While the city will collect from businesses that put out recyclables in the container used by the city, larger businesses and apartment complexes tend to contract with private haulers, who are also required to recycle.

Best wishes,

John

PS ~ Towns are rural unincorporated areas, generally with the same boundaries as townships, and generally areas of six by six miles. Dane County has 34 towns, and 27 cities and villages.

PPS ~ To complicate things, before the state made recycling mandatory, my county also made recycling mandatory, and again placed the responsibility on cities, villages and towns. Our county requirement is on the Internet at http://www.co.dane.wi.us/pdfdocs/ordinances/ord041.pdf. I would also be glad to send you the links to the state recycling law and state administrative code on mandatory recycling.