Re: [greenyes] Mercury in the waste stream: Targeting fluorescent lamps

At 03:29 PM 8/2/2005 -0600, Megan Kershner wrote:
We have identified Mercury as a pollutant of concern in our community. Having reviewed other municipal surveys on the impacts of Mercury, we have discovered that 35-40% of the Mercury entering our environment comes from solid waste disposal (e.g. fluorescent lamps, thermostats, etc.).

The question is - how do you get residents and conditionally exempt small quantity generators to properly dispose of fluorescent lamps? How do you get CESQGs to pay for disposal (approximately $0.15/ft)?

I would like to know what is considered proper disposal for Fl. lamps. They seem too fragile and bulky to ship without individual re-packaging, which seems almost impracticable, but breaking them surely releases much of the mercury as vapor.....?

Alan

Alan Muller, Executive Director
Green Delaware
Box 69