RE: [greenyes] Respose to Indy Recycling

Having minimum "recycling" rates is not a bad thing, by any means.
Unfortunately, however, "diversion" goals seem to replacing "recycling"
goals in many communities. Many cities, counties and towns are focused on
the amount of trash diverted, caring little about whether or not the
diverted materials are recycled. The move from source separation to
co-mingled collection and more recently to single stream collection of
"recyclables" has, as we all know, resulted in a drop in the quality of
scrap materials and thus a drop in the quantity of materials being recycled.
This may not be true for ALL materials, but is most certainly true for glass
bottles, aluminum cans and PET plastic bottles.

Patricia Franklin
Executive Director
Container Recycling Institute
EMAIL: pfranklin@no.address