Re: [greenyes] landfill bans

Without state and local enforcement, landfill bans are inadequate. Here in
Dalton, MA, for example, the town does not enforce its own regs requiring
pvt haulers to provide recycling; much recyclable material ends up
landfilled. Some of us are working to change this, but there¹s always local
politics... Landfill bans were originally a back-door way of requiring local
recycling--without being perceived as unfunded mandates. But since the
enforcement is also largely unfunded, the onus remains on local government
to act or not act when haulers violate the ban.

--Jenny

Jennifer Gitlitz
Research Director, Container Recycling Institute

Home Office:
2 Pomeroy Ave.
Dalton, MA 01226
Tel. (413) 684-4746
Mobile: (413) 822-0115
Fax: (413) 403-0233
Email: jgitlitz@no.address

Please note the new address for CRI¹s main office:
Container Recycling Institute
1601 North Kent St., Suite 803
Arlington, VA 22209-2105
Tel. (703) 276-9800