RE: [greenyes] landfill bans

I think it would be well-advised for SWANA -- and especially for the elected officials who oversee municipal waste management in their communities -- to consider the original purpose of municipal solid waste management: to protect the public health by ensuring that the streets were cleared of garbage.

MSWM began as a policing authority, but it quickly became a public service that put private waste companies out of business (see Susan Strasser, Waste and Want: a social history...).

My local waste authority found in its 2001 waste composition audit that an estimated 33 million refundable aluminum cans went to our 2 publicly owned landfills and WTE facility in that year (at considerable profit to our local government, which sits on a huge capital reserve made up of surplus revenues from tipping fees). These aluminum cans have a redemption value of over $2 million -- in one year, from one metropolitan area with a population of 1.5 million. In addition, who knows how many wine and liquor bottles, juice containers, water bottles, and other refundable containers that have lower redemption rates were hauled away with the trash? (all beverages except milk are included in our deposit system)

I did a quick analysis of the waste audit and estimated that two-thirds of the material disposed in our region was either easily recyclable products (ones under deposit or included in municipal programs) or easily compostable organics. Some of these materials are banned from disposal, but the bans are not being enforced. Others should be banned but are not (e.g. yard waste, which is collected in all communities but not banned from disposal).

I showed this information to our elected officials and recommended that local waste authorities dedicate resources in two key areas:

- shut the gate: enforce disposal bans on products and materials that have recycling/composting programs available -- especially EPR programs. Bans are a key part of local government's policing function and should be resourced adequately.

- step up to the plate: don't allow our community's compostable organics to go to landfills where they contribute to global warming. This should be where SWANA engineers apply their considerable expertise: providing efficient, effective programs to manage this threat to public health and safety. Organics are the fraction of MSW that is "produced" by the community and the community should take responsibility for it, just as we insist the producers of soft drinks and electronics should take responsibility for their products.

Helen.