RE: [greenyes] Plastic from corn?

At 09:10 AM 11/30/2004 -0500, Pat Franklin wrote:
Don makes a good argument for corn/soy-based plastics over petroleum-derived
plastics, but I don't think it's quite that simple .....

I agree.

I'm no expert here, but would advise against assuming that there are two families of plastic, one made out of oil and not biodegradable, another made out of grain and biodegradable. There are thousands of types of plastic, and it seems entirely possible that some oil-based ones could be biodegradable and some biomass-based ones not. The feedstock doesn't *necessarily* determine the properties of the product.

Further, few corporations (Enron? Monsanto? DuPont?) could compete with the squalid record of Cargill for the (un)ethical conduct. These folk and their competitors will do *anything* to develop new markets for grain, and pry subsidies out of the taxpayers.

We need to move away from oil-based-everything, with with as much awareness as possible.

Alan Muller

Alan Muller, Executive Director
Green Delaware
Box 69