[greenyes] Re: greenyes Digest 24 Nov 2004 22:35:29 -0000 Issue 290

And don't forget the impact of container deposits (can't believe you forgot
to mention that, Pat!). Over the past few years I've been digging through
materials in Oregon (which is not single stream but varying levels of commingling)
and Washington State (where there is no deposit), and by comparison there is
a very noticeable absence of deposit containers in Oregon's recycling stream.

In tests of single-stream materials in a suburb of King County, Washington,
we found that there wasn't a huge difference in the composition of the
materials collected before and after single stream was implemented. The prior program
was a 3-bin approach that had newspapers separated from other fibers and then
all containers in a third bin. Pus, what differences we did see in the
composition could be attributed to seasonal variations (there were fewer aluminum
cans and PET bottles in February than in July). We also found that about
one-third of the glass was crushed into small pieces in the collection vehicle.

Rick Hlavka
Green Solutions
360-897-9533
PO Box 680