From: Nicky Scott [mailto:NScott@no.address]
Sent: Wednesday, November 24, 2004 11:16 AM
To: Dan De Grassi; amy perlmutter; greenyes
Subject: RE: [greenyes] Kitty poop and otters

I'm amused by the thought that 'poop' could be an offensive word - we Brits
always take malicious delight in sending American visitors literally to the
bathroom rather than the room with the 'toilet' (another euphenism) Compost
leaflets - even in the UK coyly refer to dogs 'do's' and cat poop or
whatever. What's wrong with using straighforward words like faeces and
urine which are factual - and scientific - I've heard it said that people
won't understand them - I think that's just pathetic too.

I would recommend anyone to read Joe Jenkins excellent book 'the Humanure
Handbook' (Chelsea Green Books) which is fascinating on the subject of the
taboo of dealing with human excrement. I now have a composting system for
our household's excrement which is far better than polluting drinking
quality water. I would also have no fear in putting cat litter in it (being
fully aware of course of the potential dangers) The compost process is
incredible in the way that it destroys pathogens as long as you obtain
sufficient temperature or leave for sufficient time.

Anyway thats my little piece from over the pond
Nicky Scott
Chair Community composting Network (UK)