From: Anne Peters [mailto:annep@no.address]
Sent: Friday, November 19, 2004 10:11 AM
To: Debra Lombard
Cc: Pat Franklin; greenyes@no.address
Subject: Re: [greenyes] RE: [jtrnet] Starbucks

Going back on this tremendously interesting thread, I just want to add a
point here - Starbucks would naturally prefer you take out the cup with
their logo on it because you are effectively carrying around free
advertising for them. They've positioned themselves as the friendly,
premium brand, and every place there is a Starbucks logo they are
conveying that message and all the brand attributes. Don't underestimate
the power of this free advertising users do for them. Branding is a
huge part of consumer marketing and a force in the marketplace;
environmentalists understanding and leveraging this can go further with
our brand and its attributes. I haven't seen one of these new cups yet
but why don't we pressure Starbucks to put the recycle logo on the new
cup, and maybe even some of the poetry printed on the cup could
reference it?

On logos - if you've ever been to Hershey PA you know that's a branded
company town. When Milton Hershey was alive he insisted on the town
being (and it still is) utterly clean. He would pick up trash on the
streets himself. However, when he found a Hershey wrapper on the ground,
he would uncrumple it, smooth it out, and lay it back down on the
ground, logo side up.

Starbucks is doing this by putting their companies everywhere - in
grocery stores, Targets, etc. I gotta go, I think they're opening a
Starbucks in my basement.

Anne
Gracestone, Inc.
303.494.4934 vox