Re: [greenyes] Starbucks - What employees know & soical policies

Starbucks in Boise, Idaho make coffee grounds available and have for a
number of years. Typically they bag them and set it behind the store -
first come, first serve.

>>> <lkingeco2@no.address> 11/18/2004 11:57:10 AM >>>
Starbucks employees, known as partners, seem to have very limited
awareness
of some corporate policies regarding reusable mugs, Fair Trade Coffee
(often
not available), the article in The New York Times and its implications.
The
company is undergoing extremely rapid growth and stock value has
increased about
76 percent since the beginning of the year.

Community Solutions has found the company pursues a variety of social
and
employee practices that are important, in terms of diversity, training,
health
benefits, mutual assistance, advance of women and minorities, and
supporting
local projects. Grants to organizations are to "safe",
non-controversial causes,
but worthwhile concerns such as literacy projects.

One reply to my message about Starbucks yesterday raised an interesting

product life-cycle issue, release of VOCs from coffee roasting. Does
anyone have
information about this?

Also, I was told about Starbucks giving away Coffee grounds for
composting.
I'm not aware of any widespread program being implemented by all
stores.

Lance King
Chairman
Community Solutions