RE: [greenyes] RE: Zero waste and subsidies

Another problem is that subsidies are a political game, and those with better access or more power tend to get more subsidies. You can run into a situation where less powerful market participants (recyclers, renewable energy firms for example) get one crumb of public subsidy for every heaping slice of cake their competitors receive. They may end up in a competitively-worse situation after receiving a subsidy than they were before.

_______________________________
Doug Koplow
Earth Track, Inc.
2067 Massachusetts Avenue - 4th Floor
Cambridge, MA 02140
www.earthtrack.net
Tel: 617/661-4700
Fax: 617/354-0463

CONFIDENTIAL
This message, and all attachments thereto,
is covered by the Electronic Communications
Privacy Act, 18 U.S.C., Sections 2510-2521.
This message is CONFIDENTIAL. If you are
not the intended recipient of this message,
then any retention, dissemination, distribution
or copying of this communication is strictly
prohibited. Please notify me if you received
this message in error at koplow@no.address,
and then delete it.

>>> "Reindl, John" <Reindl@no.address> 09/10/04 12:28PM >>>
Hi Richard ~

Yes, I understand the argument and also the rationale of getting more money
through subsidies for my interest.

But, this further distorts the marketplace, moving away from the principles
of internalizing the externalities.

I oppose further subsidies -- which are paid for by taxpayers -- and support
eliminating the existing subsidies.

John