Re: [greenyes] ECR

No, we can't blame beverage makers for litter but unfortunately it requires legislation to keep their single use containers out of our landfill. For some reason, while most individuals are willing to take responsibility for litter, they feel that the myriad of other waste issues are the responsibility of their local government. It annoys me every time someone asks, "When are they going to do something about recycling?"

I always want to say, "When are you going to take responsibility for your own garbage?" For some reason, today's consumers are unable to conceive of life without single use beverage containers, plastic grocery bags and triple-wrapped processed food. Sadly, many of them also remember drinking the occasional soda pop out of glass and putting the bottle back into the case for return to the grocery store where it was staged for refilling.

ECR could be the springboard we need to reverse the current cultural stalemate, which in my mind is made of three things. First, many of the people I talk with fear that other packaging alternatives are unhealthy. They wouldn't dream of drinking tap water and/or re-using their plastic water bottles and they won't use a glass bottle because that might break. Second, if it isn't cheaper and easier, they can't afford it. Finally, they truly believe that their lives are someone else's responsibility.

Which brings us back to Extended Producer Responsibility. Until the United States implements EPR legislation, people will use the lack of it to let themselves off the hook. When most people hear of EPR, they take another sip from their water bottle and relax because in their mind, all they have to do is wait until someone else does something about their garbage.

Camille Armantrout

What a concept!

Can you really blame a beverage maker when someone casually tosses the
container on the ground at a park or beach??

Cheers

Michele Raymond
Publisher
Recycling Laws International/ State Recycling Laws Update
5111 Berwyn Rd. Ste 115 College Park, MD 20740)
301/345-4237 Fax 345-4768
http://www.raymond.com