[greenyes] "Conversion Technology" Workshops April 14-15, Sacramento

Apologies for Cross-Postings

From: "Monica Wilson" <mwilson@no.address>
Date: Tue, 6 Apr 2004 16:34:38 -0700

There are three upcoming events in Sacramento about the study of "conversion technologies," including technologies that we consider
incinerators-in-disguise. We encourage you to attend of these events, in
order to express concerns about environmental impacts of these technologies, especially if you live in a community that is considering one of these schemes.

On April 14 and 15 there will be workshops in Sacramento to review summaries of the "conversion technology" studies from the California Integrated Waste Management Board (CIWMB). Location information is below. On May 11 or 12 the CIWMB board meeting will be reviewing these studies and considering their own report to the California Legislature (there is no information yet on this meeting).

We hope you will attend one or both of the April workshops and/or the May board meeting in order to express concerns about the incinerator-in-disguise technologies of gasification, pyrolysis, plasma arc. Concerns about these technologies include impacts on waste prevention, recycling and composting programs and zero waste; dangerous air emissions; and other pollution issues. The meetings will likely be dominated by industry representatives who see dollar signs in these technologies -- so PLEASE COME AND BE A VOICE FOR HEALTHY COMMUNITIES AND SUSTAINABLE WASTE AND ENERGY POLICIES.

If you are planning to attend either workshop and would like suggested
comments, or if you are willing to give written comments on these studies,
please contact Monica Wilson for suggested comments letters and points
(mwilson@no.address or 510-883-9490). Deadlines for written comments have not yet been released, but please note that written comments will need to be submitted within just a few days of the workshops. The study summaries are expected to be released a week prior to the workshops, and they will be available at http://www.ciwmb.ca.gov/Organics/Conversion/

Comments made last fall on the methodologies of these studies can be found at http://www.no-burn.org/campaigns/ca/ We are not optimistic that the concerns raised last fall will be adequately addressed, so we will likely
raise many of these same comments about the studies.

An example of a potential incinerator-in-disguise project in California are
the current efforts by Alameda Power and Telecom to build a gasification
facility for municipal solid waste. Read more about this project at
Greenaction's website: http://www.greenaction.org

* * WORKSHOP DETAILS * *
April 14, 2004--9:00 a.m.
Workshop on Results of Conversion Technology Evaluation Processes and Products, Sierra Hearing Room, Cal/EPA Building, 1001 I Street, Sacramento, CA

April 15, 2004--9:00 a.m.
Workshop on Results of Conversion Technology Lifecycle and Market Impact Assessments, Central Valley Auditorium, Cal/EPA Building, 1001 I Street, Sacramento, CA

Note1: The Cal/EPA building is 6 blocks up I street from the Sacramento
Amtrak station.

Note2: both workshops will be audio cast on the CIWMB website:
http://www.ciwmb.ca.gov/Organics/Conversion/ . However, if you want to make any verbal comments you have to be physically present at the meeting -- you can't do that over the internet. You can definitely submit a letter whether or not you attend the workshops.

* * CIWMB BOARD MEETING * *
May 11 or 12 -- we will forward more information about this meeting as it
becomes available

Gary Liss
916-652-7850
Fax: 916-652-0485