[greenyes] EPR

Helen you put it quite elegantly. And in theory I agree!!!

In the real world, however, it is not necessarily efficient to have manufacturers take over what WAS a government function. In Germany, companies had to pay separate trucks going up and down the street for packaging, and trash costs did NOT go down to consumers -- that was because the local governments had fixed overhead on their trash pick up systems.

However, if you are adding a NEW items, such as E-waste, perhaps it is possible for producers to start from scratch

Remember, producers make products for national and international markets, but local government now want them to obey LOCAL rules, and now even divvy up money to hundreds -- perhaps thousands of local governments.

Bear in mind that the EPR system for packaging is costing about $15 billion in Europe.\ WHEN you include producer fees, re-design, calculation of fees, etc.. Now correct me if I am wrong, but that seems to be what the US governments spend on recycling in to to for all products in the U.S.

No one has really studied the TOTAL costs in Europe, to include such costs. Also no one has studied enforcement of these EPR laws.

I am not being critical of EPR in general, just pointing out some issues.

Keep up the good thinking!

Michele Raymond (from home)
Publisher
Recycling Laws International
5111 Berwyn Rd. #115 College Park MD 20740
301 345 4237
http://www.raymond.com
Cell 240 472 5676