Re: [greenyes] Maybe a good Idea
This idea is an intriguing one.  There seem to be a number of potential challenges in making it work properly; I'd be very interested in any further insights you might have on how these challenges have been met.

1)  As a substitute for municipal waste collection in poorly-served districts, trash return for food makes sense.  Is there a limit to how much can be earned by each person?  If there is no limit, do people pick up garbage from areas that are served by collection programs (e.g., where they might work), to "supplement" what they collect from their own districts?  If there is a limit, how does the municipality assure that all of the waste in the poorly-served districts is returned?

2)  Using the program as a tool to enhance litter collection in public areas would seem more challenging.  Litter density is often low, and the effort to fill a bag from a beach, as opposed to somebody's trash can, would be much higher.  Again, how have the municipalities ensured that targeted trash is returned, and untargeted trash is not?

Thanks for any insights on this.

-Doug Koplow

_______________________________
Doug Koplow
Earth Track, Inc.
2067 Massachusetts Avenue - 4th Floor
Cambridge, MA  02140
www.earthtrack.net
Tel:  617/661-4700
Fax: 617/354-0463

>>> vze3gxms@no.address 01/06/04 03:56PM >>>
Hi Eric.  Happy New Year.  Long time, no hear.

Curitiba (1.6 million), the capital of the state of Paraná, really
started this back in 1989.  In certain "low collection infrastructure
districts" (principally low-rent areas) residents that brought bags of
8-10 kg of  trash got a bus ticket.  In 1991 the city changed it to bags
of fruits & vegetables in season -- bananas, grapes, etc -- for 1-4 bags
of trash turned in, and for 5 and up turned in, sacks of rice, black
beans, potatoes, onions, or even honey or sweets.  Curitiba still
operates this "buy back trash" program in 41 of its barrios.

I'm trying to remember which specific cities other than Curitiba
currently run such a program.  Might have to get back to you on that
once I perused my files.  I know I have seen it mentioned in several
city programs.  If memory serves, Porto Alegre, Recife and maybe
Fortaleza had such a program, but I'll have to confirm.

There's also an interesting program underway by the Brazilian
supermarket chain, Pão de Açúcar, you might be interested in.  They have
placed Tonra reverse vending mechines on the premises of their
hypermarkets which award points for every beverage bottle or can
returned.  So many points on the machine's coupon generator can get the
bearer free food, such as a bag of high quality rice or black beans
(staples of the Brazilian diet).  People getting the coupons also have
the option of donating them (a collection bowl is placed next to
machines), with the food obtained with them being donated to local food
banks participating in the government "Fome Zero" ("Zero Hunger") program.

Also, last month in São Paulo Alcan, in cooperation with SP's Metro,
sponsored a program where Metro riders bringing in empty aluminum
beverage cans for recycling and who asnswered a survey about recycling
received theater pickets or a CD.

Hope this helps.

Regards,
Keith

--
Sr. Keith Edward Ripley
Temas Actuales
e-mail: keith.ripley@no.address
www.temasactuales.com

Autor do livro "Solid Wastes and Recycling Policy in Latin America & the Caribbean"
http://www.raymond.com/promo_raymond-library/lactoc02.pdf

Esta mensagem é só para o uso do Destinatário e pode conter informação que é CONFIDENCIAL. Se você não é o receptor destinado, mediante a presente você está notificado que se proibe estritamente a diseminação desta comunicação. Se você tenha recibido esta comunicação por erro, por favor apagar todas as copias da mensagem e seus anexos e nos notifica imediatamente.
Obrigado.