[greenyes] Pyrolysis vs Zero Waste in Collier County Florida.
Sorry for cross posting.

The Brightstar pyrolysis incinerator (incinerolysis?) project proposed for
Collier County Florida has been removed from consideration as a solid waste
management option for the County. Citing Brightstar’s inability to maintain a
viable proposal in accordance with the requirements of the County’s “Request For
Proposals” the Commissioners, last Tuesday, voted to authorize staff to notify
brightstar that the County does not wish to proceed further with
negotiations. Brightstar, originally rated the number two pyrolysis proposer, moved to the
number one spot after an IWT (interstate waste technologies) Thermoselect
pyrolysis proposal was determined to be too expensive. I believe it was EDL’s
(Brightstar’s parent company and main financial resource) withdrawal from their
Wollongong experimental facility that led to the termination of consideration.
Both proposals had a pyrolysis and a gas after-burn for energy component.

Preaching to the choir
Both proposals relied on recyclables, compostables and stuff we shouldn’t
even make, to operate. Both required thirty-year commitments of trash and money
and both would have spread POP’s and heavy metals into people and the
environment (Everglades and the Gulf of Mexico).
                                                    ----------------------
The Brightstar, IWT pyrolysis proposals and a number of direct flame
incinerator proposals previously offered were opposed by a group of citizens comprised
of local residents who along with the help of Paul Connett exposed the flaws
of a 1984 Westinghouse / Shamut incinerator proposal leading to its’ demise.
Dr. Connett was helpful again with this effort assisting the current community
that this time, with a smaller membership, organized under the banner of The
Zero Waste Collier County Group. Thanks to the GRRN and GAIA as organizations
and to all of their helpful members, we here have been able to develop a strong
positive position for the implementation of maximum diversion programs
working toward the broader effort that can bring us to Zero Waste o.d.c.

Our efforts to make the process of solid waste, discarded resource management
program development “transparent”, more open to the public, more inclusive
of public involvement has put us at odds with some of the most influential
elements in our economic, social, political milieu. The big special interests here
are; Waste Management, operator of the county owned landfill and holder of
the present collection contract until ’06.The Local Chamber of Commerce,
politically influential and heavily influenced by Waste Management, Malcolm Piernie,
consultant to the County on solid waste and the recipient of over a million
dollars in contracts since December 2000. Our Local Malcolm Piernie
representatives have been advocating Pyrolysis and have spoken at SWANA conferences
promoting pyrolysis in general as well as for Collier County. The Naples Daily News;
producers of the recent expose on the demise of the Gulf of Mexico yet almost
silent on the incinerator pyrolysis issue. They didn’t cover our two-day Zero
Waste Workshop-Design Charrette. The Conservancy of Naples; institutionalized
environmentalism of a unique type.  The Collier County Commissioners,
dependent on all the above for their political survival.

Now with pyrolysis flat on its face The Zero Waste Collier County Group will
continue   to advocate for the issuance of a “Request for Proposals” inviting
parties familiar with programs, techniques and working models of discard
materials management systems that could be applied to the Collier County discard
management system to develop a program from the Zero Waste perspective. It
would be best if those responding have experience with efforts already made to
develop Zero Waste programs in other communities. Proposers would need to be free
from the encumbrance of being associated with any previous consultants to the
County on solid waste, discard materials management projects so as to assure
a fresh analysis of the Collier County situation from a new perspective and
different minds.

Bob Krasowski
The Zero Waste Collier County Group
Collier County, Florida, USA 34103