[greenyes] NRC Report
NRC Report
Recycle Scene
October 2003
Richard Anthony

The 22nd National Recycling Congress was held in Baltimore.  There was a good
turnout (900 of the usual suspects) and a good program.

Kate Krebs and the NRC Board and Staff have found their pace. At Kate's
direction the NRC has become more relevant to the needs of recycling professionals
in this country.

The reception was fun and I spent hours discussing whether waste was a verb
or a noun.

Monday's opening session was on corporate responsibility (Stewardship) and
showcased companies like; Nike who has a program requesting people mail them
shoes (good idea); Time Warner who has good anti toxic policies but admitted that
they don't use recycled paper for the magazine (sounds like a letter to the
editor campaign); and Dell who acknowledged that they have been made aware of
recycling in the last 18 months and are doing some things about it (Take Back
Campaign).

The Speakers on the Zero Waste Panel that afternoon agreed that waste was a
verb and not a noun.

Tuesday's plenary reviewed how well we are doing communicating with our
clients.  Our public needs are: convenience; availability; to know where the
material is going; and some kind of thank you for participating.  Interestingly, the
trends show that there is an upward trend where women agree that global
warming is real and to the same degree downward, men are in denial.

During Wednesday's recycling leaders forum, the representative of the paper
industry stated that glass in paper (single stream) was not an issue in states
with container deposits.

The NRC needs to revamp their bi-laws to allow for proportional re
presentation to the Board of Directors to reflect the membership of State Recycling
Organizations.

Next year, the Congress will be held in San Francisco.

10/03

RichardAnthonyAssociates.com
RicAnthony@no.address
San Diego CA 92109