[greenyes] Fwd: Plastic Bags for Recyclables Collection

From: "Karuna Douglas" <karuna@no.address>
To: <anouk@no.address>
Cc: "Gary Liss" <gary@no.address>
Subject: Plastic Bags for Recyclables Collection
Date: Fri, 15 Aug 2003 19:29:32 -0500

I saw your request on GreenYes and on a local listserv in NZ, a very similar question was asked. Below is a response from a South Island council that I thought you might find interesting.

Cheers
Karuna Douglas
National Coordinator
Recycling Operators of New Zealand Inc. (RONZ)
******************************
We don?t use recycling bins. We operate a three bag kerbside collection,
using clear plastic bags for recyclables. Instructions for use of the bag
are printed on the side. (We have a green bag for compostables - mainly
putrescibles and finer greens ­ and a black bag for residual waste). No bags are issued ?free? and have to be purchased.

We decided against recycle bins for the following reasons:
- Capital outlay too high.
- Bags allow residents to vary the capacity of recyclables put out as and
how it suits them.
- Bags keep recyclables dry, and free of ice in winter.
- Single use bags are always clean.
- Bags don?t get blown down the street as sometimes occurs with empty bins.
- We have a large number of holiday houses in our district that are used for
only a few weeks in the year. Issuing bins to them would be wasteful.
- The bags themselves go into our plastics recycling.

The sorting of recyclables occurs at our Resource Recovery Parks. With bags, one obviously can?t sort as one loads on to a truck. They are, however, very quick and easy to load. If recycle bags contain rubbish or dirty recyclables, they get the pink sticker and are left where they are.

Regards
Geoff Hemm
Solid Waste Manager
Mackenzie District Council
Market Square
Twizel

>I'am a project manager for an Environment consulting firm in Quebec and I'am doing a research on the use of paper bag as a container for
>recycling curbside collection. Some municipalities in Quebec are
>reviewing innovative ways to collect recycling and they are thinking
>about using paper bags.
>
>I would like to know if there is any municipalities in you region using
>paper bag for curbside collection instead or with a blue or green box?
>If it is the case, whom I may contact for more informations? If none of
>them are using paper bags, other might be using plastic bags?
>
>A rapid answer would really be appreciated.
>
>Bests regards,
>
>>Anouk Malboeuf
>Charg=E9e de projet
>Transfert Environnement