From: Rose Niemi [mailto:Rose@no.address]
Sent: Tuesday, July 15, 2003 11:21 AM
To: greenyes@no.address
Subject: [greenyes] Commercial Recycling Ordinance

The city of Visalia ( California ) is implementing a fee for commercial
recycling, a free service since 1995. The recycling fees are less than the
garbage fees. Not surprisingly, I am encountering a fair amount of
resistance as I contact the 500 accounts. However, I am finding that many
establishments did not reduce their garbage service levels after I placed
the recycling bin. So, in many instances I am able to demonstrate an overall
cost savings.

However, at some locations the resistance is massive. The city council is
open to the possibility of passing a commercial recycling ordinance. Do you
know of any cities that have these, and could you refer me to a copy of the
ordinance?

Thanks in advance for your time and shared knowledge.

Take care,

Rose

Rose Niemi
Recycling Coordinator