RE: [greenyes] scavenging
I was just speaking with a resident who was calling about scavenging, and
she said "if the guy is so comfortable going through my recycling bin and
taking what he wants, maybe he'll be just as comfortable taking something
off my porch or going in my back yard."  Regardless of whether or not
scavenging leads to other kinds of theft, the last thing I want is for
residents to feel they are endangering themselves by setting out their
recycling.

Hi Sharon et al,

On such occasions, I suggest that the resident leave their CRV items in a separate bag on top. This is far from an ideal solution, but does at least eliminate the recyclables being scattered.

I heard recently that a few years ago, the DOC had a program to provide social services to these folks. Does anyone know more about this? I spend one day a week tagging for violations, and have seen quite an array of scavengers, including a man whose arms do not extend to his elbows, and a Mexican woman who blesses me when I do not challenge her.

Take care,

Rose

Rose Niemi
Recycling Coordinator