[greenyes] FW: [greenyes] 'dirt' question
Tom -

There can be significant differences in the constituents and how they have
been processed, blended, tested, etc. prior to being packaged. The important
"difference" depends on what you are hoping to accomplish. Are you planting
a garden? Potting a few herbs for the windowsill? Planting seeds in a
greenhouse?  Trying to establish a lawn? Etc.

Producers of these products in some cases have spent years and millions of
dollars customizing a specific blend for a specific use. In other cases, its
just manure. A well-designed bag should have both some listing of
ingredients as well as product use guidelines on the bag. Failing that some
stores train their employees to help assure customers are getting what they
are looking for, though this is not always true.

There was an interesting critique of bagged soil amendments in Organic
Gardening Magazine a few months back which I believe is on their
website/archive. (I don't have the URL handy, but just type in "Organic
Gardening" in Google, and I'm sure you'd find it). I believe the Author was
Cheryl Long.

Hope this is useful.

--
Matthew Cotton