RE: [greenyes] Recycling and incineration
I agree with the remarks of Pete and Wayne, and recommend that we get a copy
of the analysis that was done in Sweden on which the news story is based.

I am familiar with the 1999 study by the Swedish economics Professor Marian
Radetzki, which came up with a similar conclusion. A major component of the
cost of recycling was due to the cost of the householder in separating and
cleaning the recyclables and delivering them to the dropoff centers. For
example, for newspapers, the personal cost per tonne to recycle was 6,500
Swedish kronor out of a total cost of 6,967 SEK per tonne (after subtracting
the value of the environmental benefits). For landfilling and incineration,
there was no personal cost assigned to the handling of the material, and
total costs were about 1,840 SEK per tonne. Other economists believe that
this accounting of personal costs is not legitimate.

I have a 4 page summary of the paper in English, as well as the 92 page
report in Swedish, and would be glad to send copies of either to anyone who
is interested. It is my understanding that the full report was published in
English in the UK.

John Reindl, Recycling Manager
Dane County, WI