[GreenYes] Fwd: [GreenYes] Re: EPA's arrogance
As Peter pointed out, I would like like to clarify that the woman I spoke to from the EPA office is from the Illinois State EPA agency and not the US EPA.
--- Begin Message ---
  • Subject: RE: [GreenYes] Re: EPA's arrogance
  • From: "SPENDELOW Peter H" <SPENDELOW.Peter@no.address>
  • Date: Thu, 6 Feb 2003 19:13:40 -0800
Title: Message
Karen-

Oops.  I made a mistake.  When you said EPA, I thought you were referring to the United States Environmental Protection Agency - not the state agency.  I had forgotten that the state agency was also called (Illinois) Environmental Protection Agency.

The Illinois agency is like my own state agency.  It would be more appropriate for them to participate than for the United State EPA to participate.

I bet lots of other people made the same mistake I did.  Your email criticizes the state agency (or more specifically, the lack of interest in your project by one employee of that state agency).  However, most people, like me, will read it as criticism of the national EPA.  The state agency is not a branch of the national agency.  Instead, it is a branch of your state government. You should post a note on the listserv stating that your comments referred only to the Illinois State agency, not the US EPA.

On another note, did you try contacting anyone from your local government solid waste program?  In Oregon, most of the recycling educators are working either for the counties, for a couple of the larger cities, or for the local garbage companies that also provide recycling services.  These are the people who would be most likely to participate in an event like yours.

Peter Spendelow
Oregon Department of Environmental Quality