[GreenYes] Fwd: [Gaia-members] 90% Waste Diversion Rate at the 4th World Meeting of Fami...
FYI

Subj: [Gaia-members] 90% Waste Diversion Rate at the 4th World Meeting of Families?
Date: 1/30/2003 9:21:43 PM Pacific Standard Time
From: manny.gaia@no.address
To: gaia-members@no.address
Sent from the Internet (Details)

Garbage-Free Family Meeting Lauded
By Mae Limcumpao
Malaya Newspaper
?
(NOTE:? The zero waste project at the 4th World Meeting of Families held in Manila from 22-26?January 2003?was a resounding success - achieveing?90%?waste diversion rate at the site of the Meeting's closing events, which attracted some 300,000 people.??Some 1,573 kilos of recyclable materials, worth 8,000 pesos, were retrieved and sold to recyclers?and about 600 kilos of food waste were collected for composting.)
?
Manila, 30 June 2003.? Environment Secretary Elisea G. Gozun yesterday lauded a joint Church-NGO collaboration in making the recently-concluded 4th World Meeting of Families "zero waste."
?
Gozun said the usual headaches associated with garbage during religious celebrations and other gatherings at the vicinity of Rizal Park and the Philippine International Convention Center were surprisingly contained during the five-day World Meeting of Families.
?
She said the 4th World Meeting of Families is a model for event organizers on?how waste management should be done during public gatherings.
?
Archbishop Cardial Sin issued a pastoral letter to participants of the family congress to make the event a "zero waste celebration of life" through waste reduction and segregation.
?
"By doing so, we affirm the role of the Family and the Church as stewards of His creation and proclaim our oneness in choosing life so that our heirs and we will live.? By ensuring that nothing is wasted, we make it know that the Christian Family is an active participant in healing and restoring the beauty of our ravaged land," Sin said in his pastoral letter.
?
The "zero waste" advocacy was initiated by the Ecological Waste Coalition composed of Caritas Manila, Global Alliance for Incinerator Alternatives, Greenpeace, Health Care Without Harm, Mother Earth Unlimited, National Secretariat for Social Action, Justice and Peace, Recycling Movement of the Philippines Foundations, Smokey Mountain Resource Recovery Systems and other NGOs.
?
Among the measures put into action by the joint Church-NGO initiative was to ask participants to reduce waste generation by using as few resources as possible; avoid using plastic and disposable items; separate and dispose wastes at designated recycling stations; and put wastes into proper containers to facilitate recycling.
?
Manny C. Calonzo
GAIA Secretariat
Unit 320, Eagle Court Condominium