Re: [GreenYes] What would Jesus drive?
On 21 Jan 2003 at 16:36, Pamela Frucci wrote:

> Hi Grassroots Recycling Network,
>
> Following the Old New England proverb: "Use it up, wear it out, make
> it do, or do without," I don't drive new cars....I usually get my
> husband's hand-me-over cars and drive them til they can't go anymore.
> Then I either push or tow them to the local automobile recycling
> center.
>
> So far five of my old cars have ended up at the auto smash. I can
> watch them go through the hammermill.  I currently drive a 1986
> Cadillac (not good on gas) but it has 253,000 miles on it.  I'm trying
> to get it up to 300,000 or more!  Assuming that Jesus was a recycling
> advocate (I'm also a Presbyterian for Restoring Creation,) I think he
> would nevah, nevah, nevah drive a brand new gas guzzling SUV!

I had occassion to raise this campaign with people here in South Africa - they think it
is a really good way to focus people's attention on this kind of issue.... and a
colleague, who drives a more polluting car than the latest German model, did the
comparision - his bakkie (do you call it a pickup in the US?) gets about 8 litres of fuel
to 100 kilometres; the latest German model, weighing about three times more and a
much larger engine, gets about 15 litres used when it travels 100 km.... so there is
that issue too, yes?

regards
Muna