Re: [GreenYes] polyester
Muna brings up an interesting point.  PET suffers from a 20% yield loss using current recycling and processing methods thus driving the actual recycling rate (utilization rate) down significantly.  Does polyester (other plastics) experience a similar yield loss?

Wayne

>>> <muna@no.address> 01/21/03 02:15AM >>>

> On 18 Jan 2003 at 10:19, Eric Lombardi wrote:
>
> > Peter,
> >
> > You are absolutely right that this is a powerful affirmation of the
> > value that industry brings in their capacity to "re-design" the
> > discard stream.
> >
> > My question to you as a plastics expert is ... are we happy that
> > polyester is winning as their choice?

There are two problems here, methinks - one, is that the "new" design
 philosophy is still not based on sustainable materials, and secondly,
 perhaps more importantly here, is that no matter what version of
 polyester they use, it still will not be able to sustainably recycled
 - re-use, maybe twice, before loss of quality is so hig that it is
 unre-moldable, is hardly a sustainable process!

 Muna