[GreenYes] Tires and combustion
Hi Don ~

It is my understanding that the level of sulfur in tires is quite low, maybe
even lower than in coal. Do you have any hard data? Also, do you know what
are the levels of zinc, dioxins, furans and chlorinated compounds in tires
or their combustion?

>From a nearly 200 page study that I did in 1977, I wrote back then:

	"A major question of incinerating tires is the air pollution
associated with the process. Two pollutants that have attracted the most
attention are sulfur and zinc. Zinc oxide seems especially worrisome, since
zinc oxide fumes are highly disabling to people, although there is complete
recovery within 24 hours. In tests at the General Motors firing of tires
with coal, particulate air pollution increase by 62.4%, of which 15.0% was
zinc oxide. Using a computer model, maximum zinc oxide concentrations of 42
mg/m3 were predicted at a distance of 1200 meters from he plant, which is
below EPA standards. Total zinc oxide emissions from the boiler increased
from 0.09 lbs/hour to 10.2 lbs/hr. Sulfur dioxide concentrations in the
emissions were reported to have been decreased by the use of tires, but the
sulfur content of the coal was not given."

I would think that the chemistry of tires has changed over the last 25+
years (as well as the air pollution standards, and additional test data) and
would appreciate some hard data.

John Reindl, Recycling Manager
Dane County, WI