RE: [GreenYes] Tire Recycling
There is mistaken impression that "burning hotter" = "Cleaner." This is not the case. While a hot combustion temperature can be good for promoting complete combustion of the waste material, that does not necessarily equate with better emissions. Tires contain large amounts of sulfur (about 2%, if my memory serves) and zinc. Sulfur, when burned, produces SO2 which turns into acid rain in the atmosphere. Zinc is a heavy metal which is essential for living organisms at low concentrations, but toxic at high concentrations. There is also the issue of formation of chlornated dioxins and furans, all of which are very toxic.
For these reasons, I would not recommend burning tires unless (a) there is no other possible disposal/recycling option, and (b) you employ extremely effective air pollution controls.
Don Hughes

fAt 09:19 AM 12/10/2002 -0600, jholt wrote:
>From what the research I've done, I've found that the tires burn hotter than
conventional heating methods, and therefore cleaner.  The emissions here are
actually cleaner than they would be if they were just using coal.

-----Original Message-----
From: owner-greenyes@grrn.org [mailto:owner-greenyes@grrn.org]On Behalf
Of muna@iafrica.com
Sent: Tuesday, December 10, 2002 6:50 AM
To: Peter Anderson
Cc: greenyes@grrn.org
Subject: Re: [GreenYes] Tire Recycling

Hi all!

I would appreciate information on suppliers of technology that allows one to
re-use
tires (we spell them tyres here!), as we think that they may be useful for
buidling
roads and playgrounds....

also:

On 6 Dec 2002 at 11:41, Peter Anderson wrote:
 Companies that reuse old
> tires include utilities, which burn them to make electricity, and
> cement manufacturers, which bake them in kilns with other ingredients
> to produce Portland cement.

this is frightening- the emissions that this produces are extremely toxic,
so please, all,
do not support this method of disposal - the impacts are bio-accumulative,
and
extremely harmful....

regards

Muna
this list are available here:
http://greenyes.grrn.org/
pages before posting.
this list are available here:
http://greenyes.grrn.org/
pages before posting.
Don Hughes, PhD student                         *
Dept of Chemistry, Jahn Laboratory                      *
SUNY-College of Environmental Science & Forestry        *
315-470-6597    djhughes@syr.edu                        *