[GreenYes] Re: Refillable Glass Bottles
In a message dated 10/1/02 1:00:59 AM, pine_eng@hotmail.com writes:
<< in some countries, the glass recycling is deemed not feasible just because
there isn't enough cullet to feed the plant, while they use bottles over and
over (scuffed or not) as long as they are not obviously damaged >>

What countries might those be?
I think this doesn't make sense for at least three reasons:
1) Once the system reaches steady state, the only bottles needing to be
manufactured are those being rejected from the washing system, i.e. a bottle
washed is a bottle that doesn't need to be manufactured.

2) Any system that had an efficient enough collection scheme to capture most
of the bottles for washing would, ipso facto, have an efficient glass
recycling system.

3) If the reason you're interested in bottle washing is for resource
efficiency, it has been demonstrated by several studies that bottle washing
is the most efficient system.  To not wash bottles in order to make more
cullet seems suspiciously like making milk to dump into the ocean in order to
support dairy farmers.

Finally, in a study I helped with years ago, my recollection is that there is
no way for a bottle washer to know how many "trips" an individual washed
bottle actually has, except mathematically by modelling the system.  The
bottles are rejected for defects, not for trips.

Bob Kirby