[GreenYes] Re: Dead answering machines
At our most recent electronics collection event in April our salvage/recycling contractor accepted low grade electronics such as answering machines for the little bit of salvageable/recyclable stuff in them including the cords (which we clipped & loaded into a separate bin to maximize income from copper wire $0.11/lb to us) then we sorted monitors from cpu's from low grade from higher grade (e.g. old boards and other circuitry) we got paid for the higher grade stuff too $0.70/lb. Thus when there is the next electronics collection, you may wish to ask yr. contractor if they can/will handle low grade stuff such as answering machines. They didn't charge us for anything except monitors/CRTs and transpo. BP
  ----- Original Message -----=20
  From: Steen, Terri - Contractor=20
  To: greenyes@grrn.org=20
  Sent: Tuesday, June 04, 2002 4:47 PM
  Subject: RE: [GreenYes] Recyclability of household electronics?

  Along the same lines, my answering machine died last weekend and I =
don't know what to do with it.  It could probably be fixed (new power =
supply, or whatever part got fried) but would likely cost more than =
buying a new one.  I know it's not illegal to throw it away - but does =
it count as "electronics?" It has a micro-cassette tape, and one of =
those transformer plugs. =20

  =20

  Several people have told me to go digital - we're using the computer =
"phone tools" right now but that means the computer's on all the =
time..which is the best choice?  (besides the =
if-it's-important-they'll-call-back method - won't work for my mom!)

  =20

  Terri =20