[GreenYes] Alternative to bags

One alternative to bags that I am impressed by is the "wooden nickel" project.

Clerks give the option for a customer to use a bag or take a wooden nickel.  If they take a wooden nickel, they can drop it in a collection box for a local charity or non profit (depends on who the vendor is set up to donate to).  For each wooden nickel, the vendor will donate $.05 to that organization.  This seems to be a great way to get people who normally wouldn't think twice about taking a bag to learn to carry small items or even arms-full of produce/goods.

From my experience, charging for bags is more likely to get people to start bringing their own bags or not taking bags at all, than providing a discount for bringing your own bags will.

Laura Flanigan