[GreenYes] Recycling at Music Festivals
Regarding Ben's request for information about recycling at music festivals:

Gerry Gillespie from Resource New South Wales in Australia was just
in the states to participate in the International Composting
Conference in Columbus, Ohio. He left with me several copies of a
booklet and CD (which I have been unable to access) on recycling
planning, execution, and results at the Majors Creek Music Festival
November 2001. Billed as a Waste Wise Event, and as a component of
NSW's "going for ZERO (Waste)" program, the festival reused, recycled
or composted all materials collected.

In their conclusion, the authors stated that the goal of Zero Waste
to Landfill was achieved ". . . because the packaging used at the
event was controlled, because the organizer were focused and because
the people who attended the event were made to feel that they were
doing something special, they were asked to become involved and they
were excited at the prospective outcome."

I have a few copies of the booklet which I will send to those who
send me an email with their mailing address. When they run out you'll
have to get a copy from Gerry in Australia and probably offer to pay
the postage.

Mary Appelhof
--
Mary Appelhof, Author of "Worms Eat My Garbage"
Flowerfield Enterprises