[GreenYes] RE: bikes, cyties and etc....
I've thought about this and what was accomplished is actually quite
encouraging.  Finder's Keepers may be true but what you got was more
people riding bikes and discontinued driving.  It was actually a great
thing.  On a negative side you can say, "But why should we supply them
bikes, etc.?"  If the bikes are being thrown away, why not salvage them
for reuse.

Angela

Angela Brantley
City of Monterey
City Hall
Monterey CA 93940
brantley@ci.monterey.ca.us
831-646-5662
FAX - 831-646-5686

"If at first you don't succeed...sky diving is probably not the sport
for you!"  Author Unknown

>>> "Megan Kershner" <Mkershner@cityofboise.org> 05/15/02 08:55AM >>>
The City of Boise (Idaho) tried the "yellow bike" program and it failed
in record time.

A local group repaired donated bikes, painted them yellow, and planted
them around town for public use.  The media did a great job of promoting
the program and advising folks to use the bikes at will and leave them
for the next user.

In approximately 3 months or less, all of the bikes could be spotted
around town with a lock and a single user.  The program was discontinued
after the first try.  I think the old phrase "finders keepers" is still
too ingrained in our culture for this program to work in this community
at this time.