[GreenYes] Mercury Take Back Ordinance Adopted
For your information ~

Dane County, Wisconsin has just adopted an ordinance to require retailers of
mercury thermostats and of fluorescent lamps and bulbs to offer to take
these products back from the public for recycling. Dane County has a
population of 430,000 and includes the city of Madison, which is the state
capital.

The ordinance, which builds upon a similar ordinance for the retailers of
automobile batteries and tires, was supported in concept by two statewide
associations of retailers, including the association that represents
hardware stores.

The ordinance also builds upon the county's ban on the acceptance of
hazardous and toxic materials at its landfills, the recycling program of the
Thermostat Recycling Corporation and the successful retailer take back
programs for fluorescent lamps in other communities.

Please let me know if you have any questions that we might try to answer.
The ordinance will soon be available on the Internet as part of the County's
solid waste ordinance, http://www.co.dane.wi.us/ord/ord041.pdf.

John Reindl, Recycling Manager
Dane County, Wisconsin