RE: [GreenYes] City mandates fluorescent lamp recycling
Minnesota's 1994 statewide ban on the disposal of fluorescents in the waste
stream is today is working very well.  There was much consternation about
the ban at the outset, as there was little infrastructure for bulb
recycling. That infrastructure has developed beautifully over the
intervening years, however, and the cost of recycling the bulbs has gone way
down to 40 cents for 4' bulbs and 60 cents for 8' bulbs, and 45 cents for
compact fluourescents.

Our county encourages homeowner use of fluorescents by allowing every
household, (and business) free disposal of up to ten bulbs per year at our
household hazardous waste facility. The disposal cost of these bulbs is in
turn reimbursed to the county by our electric utilities, which choose
support for use of fluorescents as one way to meet their state required
mandate for energy conservation measures.

While we aren't getting all the bulbs our there yet, we're doing better with
every passing year, and people have adjusted well to the requirement.

Anne Morse
Winona County Environmental Services
225 W Second St.
Winona, MN  55897