Re: [GreenYes] Re: Single Stream Processing - Pro and Con
Good morning, Roger!

I apologize if I sounded flip in my one-word response to your question! The
concept I was hanging out for consideration is indeed one that challenges
the conventional wisdom that has shaped waste policy for over a century.
What I am trying to suggest is that convenient, publicly funded
single-stream collection systems 'compete unfairly' against
source-separated systems -- in exactly the same way garbage collection
'competes unfairly' against recycling.

First, it establishes a very low bar, accepting levels of 'yield loss' that
are unnecessarily high (I think if citizens knew how much curbside material
was going to landfills they would consider it unacceptable).
Second, because of either the monopolistic nature or the taxpayer subsidy,
it makes other alternative collection systems unable to compete.

As you suggested in your posting yesterday, there is nothing stopping a
person from sorting trash and selling it to a scrap dealer for money. And
that happens in informal ways even under the present inhospitable
conditions, in which trash and recyclables are sealed up in plastic bags
and community mores as well as anti-scavenging laws restrict access to the
contents by people who would possibly be willing to add value to them and
return them to the economy.

During the price spikes of 1995 we saw 'mosquito fleets' high-grading the
fibres that were set out for municipal crews to collect. Every day I see
scavengers pushing shopping carts high-grading the refundable beverage
containers in the Blue Boxes in my neighbourhood. In a local suburb the
City declares one week each spring as "Clean up Week" and encourages
citizens to put re-usable trash out in their back lanes for grabs. Fine
up-standing citizens as well as entrepreneurs troll the lanes high-grading
all sorts of stuff that would go to the trash the rest of the year.

It is a very basic first step for local waste authorities to cease
providing services that discourage this sort of activity. It is an equally
important second step for governments to regulate to 'add value' to discard
products, through refundable deposits, recycled content mandates or other
measures. A growing number of governments are even taking the third step,
which is to tell manufacturers of products designed to be picked up by city
sanitation crews that they can no longer count on 'free' disposal or
recycling at taxpayer expense.

So you see, it's just my usual rant,

Helen.

Helen.