[GreenYes] Re: Recycling Glass
Here's the data on upstream externalized benefits
from recycling versus landfilling various materials
based on just the 27 pollutants included in the
EPA's DST model:

Mixed Paper $0 - $74; ONP $ -17 to 233; OCC $3 to
$65; Glass $18 to $68; ALM $175 to $1684;
Tin/ferrous metals $19 to $86; PET $47 to $322; HDPE
$21 to $133.

So looking at that list it looks as if we decide
that glass goes, then mixed paper, cardboard and
tin/ferrous metals go, too. I.e., once you start to
throw materials off the bus it's a downward slippery
slope.

But let's look a little further. Here's another
interesting little table (from our 1998 study on the
Economic and Environmental Benefits of Beverage
Container Recycling for MASSPIRG and from the
National Solid Waste Management Association studies
on curbside collection costs and processing costs)

Internalized range of costs for curbside recycling:

Mixed paper $82 to $159
ONP $85 to $148
OCC $85 to $149
glass $105-$201
PET $1051 to $1696
HDPE $1109 to $1657
Alm  $599 to $1111
Tin $247 to $435

And here's the price range for these materials in
the Pacific Northwest:
Mixed paper $-14 to $136
ONP $30 to $230
OCC $43 to $240
Glass $3 (average including mixed broken cullet) to
$45
PET $93 to $737
HDPE $107 to $564
ALM $533 to $1480
TIN $-10 to $55

So let's compute the net internalized plus
externalized cost/benefit for the various materials
on the bus using the formula: Material Revenue +
Externalized Upstream Benefits - Collection &
Processing Costs. Let's create the range with high
end revenue and high end upstream benefits combined
with low end costs to get the best case, and low end
revenues and low end upstream benefits combined with
high end costs to get the worst case:

Mixed paper $128 down to $ -173
ONP $378 down to $-135
OCC $220 down to $-103
Glass $8 down to $-180
PET $8 down to $-1556
HDPE $-412 down to $-1529
ALM $2565 down to $-403
TIN/Ferrous $-106 down to $-426.

On this basis glass ranks above PET, HDPE and
TIN/ferrous, and even above aluminum in the worst
case. So would you internal cost or internal +
external cost calculators throw all these types of
containers off the bus?

What Ric Anthony said bears repeating : Let's
include more materials on the bus, not begin
throwing things off. I would add that a well
designed collection and processing system can deal
with glass quite well, thank you very much. It can
also collect aluminum foil, flexible plastic
packaging, and all types of plastic containers as
well. The way to the future is to be inclusive; the
way to the demise of recycling is to begin to throw
out materials for this or that short-run reason.

Finally, for John Reindl - most of this info is in
one article or another in The Monthly UnEconomist or
in SRMG studies downloadable from our website
zerowaste.com.  What's not yet there will eventually
get there when I have time to donate to getting
these data out.

Dr. Jeffrey Morris
Sound Resource Management - Bellingham Office
112 Ohio Street, Suite 202
Bellingham, WA 98225

360-738-0255
360-738-0256 fax