RE: [GreenYes] Landfills vs. dumps
Interesting indeed!
I went through Babel Fish (AltaVista) for the French translation of:
Landfill = remblai
Garbage dump = vidage mémoire d'ordures (ordures is "garbage")
Recycle = réutilisent (looks like reutilize to me, hmmm?)

And in Spanish:
Landfill = terraplén
Garbage dump = vaciado de la basura
Recycle = reciclan

My high school French is too far in the mists of memory to know how to use
them in a sentence, and I don't speak Spanish (yet).  I do know that many of
the food service workers at my husband's restaurant who come from Asian or
Latin American countries are unfamiliar with the concept of recycling.  Of
course, they are also unfamiliar with 22-ounce T-bones and grilled chicken
Caesar salads that would feed a family of four in their homeland.  If you
don't waste as much as we do here, you probably don't need to invent as many
euphemisms for it...

-- Terri