Re: [GreenYes] World Oil Peak / Carbohydrate Economy
Muna, I don't think that people are stuck in the mud so much as
they, at the encouragement of their leaders, are clinging to
outmoded ways of living (at the expense of the future). Consider
the recent statements by President Bush. In what amounts to an
attack on the natural environment and living things everywhere, he
proclaimed (I paraphrase) that 'everyone knows that energy
extraction creates jobs.' Apparently he hasn't read the reports
showing that extractive industries are not a growth segment of the
economy and do not generate many new jobs. Neither does he
acknowledge the slew of new industries nurtured by green
technologies that do. These latter comprise one of the fastest
growing slices of his economy and are successful despite his
obscurantism.

How can we make old school business people and ordinary citizens
aware of the advantages of organic farming, waste reducing
technologies, and bio-based chemicals, or the harm caused by their
opposite numbers, when they never hear a word of it from leaders
like Bush? To the contrary, nearly every utterance from their
mouths promulgates misinformation and promotes policies that are
short-sighted for the sake of the few. The economic measurement is
grossly out of whack. Pronouncements from government leaders make
headlines and become policy. When Bush says organic farming is the
future, millions will listen. Until then, I'm afraid progress will
be much slower than that.

David