[GreenYes] Other Attempts to Repeal Yard Waste Bans?
As readers of this list know, Waste Management Inc has
been working quietly in Peoria IL to get the local government
to work for repeal of the Illinois yard trimmings ban (one of
20-some: see http://www.epa.gov/epaoswer/non-
hw/muncpl/factbook/internet/mswf/states.htm#3).  WMI
wants the material for their landfill!

As a result of public pressure, a Peoria County Board
committee voted 2-1 on December 13th to reject Waste
Management's request (after the City voted in favor a few
weeks earlier).  That's a great early victory for our
coalition, but there is more to do. The matter next goes to
the full County Board on January 10th.  GRRN will be
posting an e-letter action on our website after the holidays
to make it easy for you to communicate your concerns to
WMI's CEO.

In the meantime, we need to find out whether Waste
Management or any other trash company is trying
something like this anywhere else in the county.  Learning
of other instances early will greatly enhance our ability to
nip this odious problem in the bud.  Please let Peter
Anderson (anderson@recycleworlds.org) or myself
(zerowaste@grrn.org) know if you hear of any activity in
this area

Thanks,
Bill Sheehan
GRRN

BTW,  the national coalition organized by GRRN to
address this issue, Coalition to Oppose Attacks on
Recycling in America, includes an active group, WEAL
(lead = Charlene Lemoine), that was left off last week's
press release:

NATIONAL ORGANIZATIONS
GrassRoots Recycling Network
Sierra Club Illinois Chapter
Natural Resources Defense Council
Friends of the Earth
Institute for Local Self-Reliance
U.S. Composting Council

LOCAL ORGANIZATIONS
Peoria Area Green Party, Peoria IL
Peoria Environmental Action
Waukesha County Environmental Action League
Eco-Cycle, Boulder CO
Ecology Center, Ann Arbor MI
St. Paul Neighborhood Coalition, MN