Re: [GreenYes] recycling plastic number 5's and 6's. -Why make it at all?
I am not defending the soft drink industry -- they have done some not nice
things in the past to discourage refillables

But now its too late in the US we are in a gobal economy and we can''t go
back to refillables easily -- DISTANCE to market!!! Even European studies
are now seeing not much benefit.

Lifecycle studies show refiillable PET is the best all around I understand.

Best of luck in your research.
michele Raymond

At 02:58 PM 12/14/01 -0500, Wayne Turner wrote:
>For all of us 'boomers' who recall the days when there was no such thing
>as plastic packaging for sodas and other beverages, this problem didn't
>exist.  That's because the glass bottles that contained sodas had an
>intrinsic value on them that was determined by the marketplace.  It was
>actually less expensive for the bottlers and much more sustainable to pay
>a small fee, typically 2 cents in my time, to get the bottles back and
>reuse them.  I personally recall summers when I collected bottles and
>redeemed them for some spending money.  Place an intrinsic value on
>anything, even waste, and you'll be amazed at how creatively people will
>recover it to extract the value.
>
>The advent of plastic bottles, with their low or negligible intrinsic
>value obviated this system for the bottlers.  It became cheaper and more
>profitable to simply use 'one way' packaging, thus placing the burden of
>disposal on the consumer (i.e. the taxpayers).  I certainly don't recall a
>hue and cry from the public demanding plastic packaging (bottles).  What
>this created was a huge subsidy for the bottlers in that taxpayers
>shouldered the burden of the end-of-life for the plastic bottles.  Now, as
>taxpayers, we're expected to continue to shoulder that burden by putting
>in place recycling programs that cost taxpayers more than it cost the
>bottlers to reuse their glass bottles.  The plastics industry (i.e. the
>petroleum industry, i.e. the oil industry) is not going to place an
>intrinsic value on the plastic bottles based on market price because it's
>cheaper to produce from virgin materials than post consumer
>recyclables.  It's much more profitable to extract and produce tha!
>n take-back and produce.
>
>Instead of adding layer upon layer of new policies and subsidies, I'd
>prefer to see us take an approach that peels back some of the layers to
>times when systems were simpler, more sustainable and the costs associated
>with producing the products and packages rested solely with the producers
>themselves.  Then, we as consumers, can make a choice to purchase based on
>the cost and performance of the product without having to concern
>ourselves with the end-of-life issue.
>

>B. Wayne Turner
>City of Winston-Salem
>Utilities Division
>phone: (336) 747 8418
>email: waynet@cityofws.org

>For real solutions to the problem of plastics recycling, the appropriate
>question(s) must be asked. In this case, a more appropriate question would
>be "Should plastic be made in the first place?"
>
>As a complete and final solution I like the first "R" best-- to reduce,
>accomplished on an easy-to-follow national reduction plan, the goal being
>complete elimination of plastic.
>
>It's an ambitious goal, however, the first part of the plan is to reduce the
>amount of plastic one buys by substituting nonplastic products wherever
> [...]

Michele Raymond
Publisher
Recycling Laws International/ State Recycling Laws Update
5111 Berwyn Rd. Ste 115 College Park, MD 20740)
301/345-4237   Fax 345-4768
http://www.raymond.com