Re: [GreenYes] recycling plastic number 5's and 6's.
Recyclers,

Aren't plastic bottles a challenge? In response to the questions about plastic packaging and the following questions about the value of recycling and whether it is better to just landfill the stuff...in the concise and common sense words of Eric Lombardi...

"The simple truth is that recycling is only an end-of-pipe solution to a problem that has its beginning at the front end of the pipe*on the designer's desk.
You can call us slow learners if you wish, but for some of us who have been working in the resource conservation business for the last 20-plus years, there is a quiet "eureka" emerging about the truth of the problem of waste. We have always assumed that waste was inevitable, and that our job was simply to reduce and minimize it as much as possible.
The lesson we have learned, however, along with some industry partners, is that waste is not inevitable - waste is the result of bad design, and ultimately, the result of bad decision-making. The idea of "designing waste out" of our world is a dramatic paradigm shift in how we value and manage our natural resources, and we've given the idea a name: "Zero Waste*or Darn Near."

Plastic and plastic packaging is a fine example of when and where zero waste concepts can and should be applied.

Check out www.grrn.org for wisdom on this concept.

By the way...it is possible and better not to buy it.

Thanks,
Susan

Susan Hubbard
Recycling Program Director
Saint Paul Neighborhood Energy Consortium
624 Selby Ave.
Saint Paul, MN  55104
651/222-7678
Fax: 651/221-9831

>>> Stephan Pollard <sp@cast.uark.edu> 12/12/01 10:50AM >>>
Same goes for us folks in Fayetteville, Arkansas.  We'd be appreciative if

Also, is there anything we can do with 4's?

Stephan