Re: [GreenYes] household batteries help
Eric

Americans throw out about 179,000 tons of batteries a year, of which about
14,000 tons are rechargeables. Rechargeable batteries are considered
environmentally preferable to disposable, single-use batteries because they
reduce the total number of batteries manufactured and entering the waste
steam. But because these batteries contain a high concentration of heavy
metals, disposing of them in landfills and incinerators can disperse
significant amounts of toxic substances into the air and water. Which is why
rechargeable batteries should be recycled (the EPA concurs on this).

The RBRC program for recycling rechargeable batteries is not sufficent. At
best, the recycling rate is 15%, which is not a successful program, by any
measurement system.  That's why the Board of Supervisors in San Francisco
passed a resolution urging manufacturers to spend more money on public
education, work with the city to develop a more effective municipal
collection program, and do a better job at reporting its results to local
government officials. To facilitate recycling, it also calls for batteries
to be more easily removable from products and for more batteries to be
labeled as to their recyclability and chemical content.

David