Re: [GreenYes] ANWR vote
My understanding is that there is a vote on this today at 5 pm! Call your
senators.

Jeff Surfus
NO WASTE

-----------------------------

Here's an NWF action alert on the vote:

URGENT ACTION ALERT

Senate to Vote on Arctic Refuge Amendment

It's up to the Senate and you!  Today, Monday, December 3rd, at 5 pm
eastern time, the Senate is scheduled to vote on whether to allow oil and
gas drilling in the Arctic National Wildlife Refuge.  Once again, Senator
Frank Murkowski (R-AK) and his allies are jumping at the opportunity to
further their political agendas at the expense of Americans by adding a
controversial drilling amendment to important legislation.

Earlier this fall, as the Senate attempted to come together and address
our national security needs in the wake of a national tragedy, Senator
James Inhofe (R-OK) attempted to stall the Defense Authorization Bill to
force a vote to drill the Arctic Refuge.  When this attempt failed,
Senator Phil Gramm (R-TX) followed suit on the Aviation Security Bill and
offered an amendment that would mandate drilling in the Arctic Refuge
coastal plain.  Next, as debate on the crucial Economic Stimulus package
began in early November, Senator Larry Craig (R-ID) filed H.R. 4 as an
amendment to the bill.  As the parties remain divided on this bill, it has
been put on hold.

The Arctic Refuge is still not safe.  Senators Murkowski, Lott (R-MS), and
Brownback (R-KS) are once again offering H.R. 4 as an amendment, this time
to the Railroad Retirement Bill.  This bill, which aids railroad retirees,
had the support of 75 cosponsors in the Senate before the H.R. 4 amendment
was filed.  Senator Lott has filed for cloture on this amendment.  If he
wins the cloture vote on Monday, drilling in the Arctic Refuge will
occur!!  H.R. 4 is a threat to our environment - it is a "Dirty" energy
bill that will not help our nation's energy needs.

Take Action Today!!!

Your senators need to hear from you.  Call email, and fax call your
senators today and urge them to vote against the Lott/Murkowski/Brownback
amendment.  Tell them the truth about oil exploration and drilling in the
Arctic Refuge:

· Even new "environmentally friendly" technology will not prevent harm to
the Arctic Refuge.  Oil drilling and the environment are not compatible
despite claims of improved technology.  According to the Alaska Department
of Environment and Conservation, the oil industry has been responsible for
over 400 oil and toxic waste spills each year in the areas of Alaska where
drilling already occurs.  Additional harm will occur as oil companies
convert wildlife habitats to oilfields, divert water from lakes and
rivers, and emit air pollutants that rival those of a small city.  We
can't afford to depend on oil companies to prevent permanent ecological
harm.

· Drilling in the Arctic Refuge will not reduce U.S. dependence on foreign
oil or help our military.   The Arctic Refuge contains only a 6-month
supply of recoverable oil, and even industry officials admit that this
supply will not be available for 10 years.

· Energy experts agree a more timely, cost effective solution exists.
Making cars more fuel-efficient is the single most effective way to bring
energy independence to our nation and thus increase national security.
Raising vehicle fuel economy standards to 39 miles per gallon over the
next decade could yield ten times more oil than will ever be found in the
Arctic Refuge.  This solution would help clean the air, reduce consumer
prices, and make our nation less dependent on foreign oil.

· Drilling operations will not be contained to 2,000 acres, but spread
across the entire 200,000 acres of the coastal plain.  Drilling proponents
claim that oil drilling will have minimal effects on the environment since
drilling will be restricted to 2,000 acres.  However, this 2,000 acres is
not contiguous; in fact, drilling will require a spider web of roads,
wells, processing plants and other facilities spread across 200,000 acres.
Additionally, the 2,000 acre limitation does not include seismic and
exploratory drilling activities, the construction of ice or permanent
roads, gravel mines, and pipelines.

· Drilling in the Arctic Refuge will not stimulate the economy and create
the jobs that proponents claim.   Economists argue that drilling will
generate over 700,000 new jobs.  This estimate is based on a ten-year old
study that was funded by the oil industry.  Later economic reports
indicate that the number of jobs would be far less and only temporarily
add to the workforce.

· Drilling in the Arctic Refuge should not be tacked onto an unrelated
piece of legislation.  Senate Majority Leader Tom Daschle (D-SD) has
committed to debating a national energy strategy bill in January 2002.
Any discussion of the Arctic Refuge should take place in the context of
our country's energy plan in January.  And destroying the Arctic Refuge
will not answer our nation's energy needs.

Call, Email, and Fax your senators - It's easy and makes a difference!!
Phone Calls:
Call the U.S. Capitol Switchboard:  (202)224-3121 and ask for your
senator's office.  You will be directly connected at no additional cost.

Be sure to:

1. Tell them your name and town
2. Tell them you are calling about a vote today
3. Ask them to please protect the Arctic Refuge and vote against the
Lott/Murkowski/Brownback amendment to the Railroad Retirement Bill

Emails and Faxes:  To send an email, visit the National Wildlife
Federation's web site at
http://www.capwiz.com/nwf/issues/alert/?alertid=49430.  You will be able
to use a sample message to send to your senators that can be edited to
specifically ask them to vote against the Lott/Murkowski/Brownback
amendment to the Railroad Retirement Bill.  Be sure to include some of the
truths about the Arctic Refuge.  After completing the message, simply
click on the button to email it to your senators, or print it out and fax
it - it's that easy!  To fax a message, you will need to contact your
senator's office to ensure that you receive the correct fax number.

David Ross, Great Lakes Office, and
Pamela E. Goddard
Senior Grassroots Outreach Manager
National Wildlife Federation