Re: [GreenYes] High-tech recycling on our horizon? Times of Northwest Indiana 26nov01
The latest from the industry...

> All the trash in that north central Ohio county -- including all
> residential, industrial and business waste -- gets delivered to a central
> processing facility,

including POP's and radioactive waste, I presume?...

>owned by the county waste district, but operated by an
> outside environmental firm.

aha! so who will see that they are doing a "fine job?"

> "What we'll do is take the tiny bits of leftover paper and film plastic and
> turn them into pellets, which can be burned like fuel," Strazinsky said.

and generate, for example, dioxins and furans which will definitely
"give" cancer to a whole lot of people, and harm other life in the
process too...
here.

> Currently, Lake County tipping fees -- the cost per ton of trash collected
> at landfill sites -- hovers between $26 and $38. If the cost for the new
> system falls somewhere near this vicinity, Langbehn said there's a good
> chance it could become a reality here.

still fiddling at the edges, yes? would it really be a whole lot more
difficult just not to make the waste to begin with?

> Although traditional landfills are still the most economical form of
> handling waste, they're filling up fast, leaving local governments around
> the country looking to the future.
> "Our plant is odor-free, and I haven't seen one rat since I've been here,"

is that perhaps because the rat cannot survive in that blend of toxins?
*grin*

well, all this shows is that people still believe in end of pipe
solutions, and as such, simply cannot be the answer, I would hazard a
guess....

Muna