[GRRN] plastic bags - let's have some shared responsibility
After thirteen years of working hard to improve our recycling programs, I am
the most frustrated with the ubiquitous plastic bags!  In addition to
showing up in our roadsides where they stay forever, they also appear
consistently in our curbside program, and are a significant contaminant
therein. Despite the fact that precious few get recycled, they even carry a
recycling logo! Enough is enough, we have simply got to improve upon our
current system for film plastic.

To that end, I offer a simple position:  every store that uses plastic bags
in which to pack their goods should also accept them back for recycling.

This is, of course, the fairest method of handling the bags.  If they are
used at retail because they are so cheap and easy, then the same retailer
should also bear the burden of handling them on the other end. They may well
find that the reuse and recycling options are not quite as cheap and easy.

The grocers and retailers can easily aggregate the used bags with a bin at
the front door, as some already do.  Then, they can be backhauled on the
same trucks that bring the products to their door.

These retailers are also the only players in the whole system that have any
real leverage to ensure that the bags are recycled, because they can tell
the supplier of the bags that they won't be buying their bags unless they
also take bags back for recycling.

What do you say, shall we make a start?

Anne Morse
Winona County Environmental Services