Re: [GRRN] unimog
Do you ever get the feeling that your standing in front of a juggernaut (unimog, 4-wheelers, Bush, global warming, etc. ) and you re about to be run down?
-----Original Message-----
From: Bantillo, Stephen <Stephen.Bantillo@ci.sj.ca.us>
To: 'Tim Krupnik' <tim@ecologycenter.org>; multiple recipients of <greenyes@earthsystems.org>
Date: Monday, April 02, 2001 6:02 PM
Subject: RE: [GRRN] unimog

I agree ....and disagree.  I'm not placing sole blame on the "public."  In a strictly profit motivated sense, companies market products they think people will buy.  In this case, we have a well-established company (that builds a good product for utilitarian purposes) that has identified an opportunity to enter a niche market by capitalizing on people's fascination with the SUV and the power mentality associated with "bigger is better" that interferes with their decision making process.  I still see people as the problem because it's "people" working for profit-minded companies who influence people to spend money on things "they've just got to have."  I suppose there is a fine line between the chicken and the egg, but I think in this case what's needed is enough people (purchasers) to just say no.  And it's up to those of us in our field to do our best to educate them on making responsible choices and hope that the manufacturers hear us and that markets/products then follow.  While I understand this isn't the right answer for everybody, I hope that my point about people, as producer and consumer, is clearer.

d8)