[GRRN] Tire Recycling Life Cycle Analysis
Am looking for any life cycle energy and pollutant emissions studies on tire rubber - use of virgin synthetic rubber versus recycled scrap tire crumb rubber to make rubber mats, floor tiles, roofing shingles, and other products that are made with both recycled and virgin content, including new tires. Our state is looking at ways to increase tire recycling and the issue of ranking alternative recovery (recycling or energy recovery) methods, including tire derived fuel has arisen.

For all the regular recycled materials -- newspapers, mixed paper, cardboard, glass containers, tin and aluminum cans, plastic bottles -- use of recycled content in manufacturing products saves so much on energy and pollutant emissions versus virgin-content manufacturing of products that recycling beats waste-to-energy incineration by a wide margin on both energy and emissions saved, even after counting the energy and emissions from the extra vehicle to collect recyclables. I'm guessing the same is true for tire recycling, but the TDF proponents on the state committee have given me the put up or shut up challenge. So I'm looking for whatever info might have already been developed.

Thanks in advance for any help. I'll post results to this list.

Jeff Morris

Dr. Jeffrey Morris
Sound Resource Management - Bellingham Office
112 Ohio Street, Suite 202
Bellingham, WA 98225

360-738-0255
360-738-0256 fax